Metakani Temple is a 13th-century Hindu temple located in Ulunda, Sonepur, Subarnapur district, Odisha, India. The temple is dedicated to the goddess Metakani, a form of Durga. The temple is built in the Kalinga style of architecture and is a protected monument of national importance. The history of Metakani Temple is shrouded in mystery. There is no definitive record of when the temple was built, but it is believed to have been built in the 13th century. The temple is mentioned in the 16th-century text “Madala Panji”, a chronicle of the Gajapati kings of Odisha.
There are many legends associated with Metakani Temple. One legend says that the goddess Metakani appeared to a shepherd in a dream and told him to build a temple in her honor. Another legend says that the goddess Metakani emerged from a tamarind tree that was growing on the site of the temple.
Metakani Temple is a two-storey structure with a square base. The lower storey is made of brick and the upper storey is made of stone. The temple has a shikhara-style tower that rises to a height of about 60 feet. The temple is decorated with sculptures of gods and goddesses, including Durga, Vishnu, Shiva, and Lakshmi.
The two main festivals celebrated at Metakani Temple are Chaitra Purnima and Dashara. Chaitra Purnima is celebrated in the month of March or April and Dashara is celebrated in the month of September or October. During these festivals, thousands of devotees visit the temple to worship the goddess Metakani.
Metakani Temple is a popular tourist destination. The temple is located in a scenic location, surrounded by hills and forests. The temple is also close to other popular tourist destinations, such as Hirakud Dam and Sambalpur.
How to get to Metakani Temple
Metakani Temple is located about 23 km from Sonepur city and about 100 km from Sambalpur city. The nearest airport is Biju Patnaik International Airport in Bhubaneswar, which is about 200 km from Metakani Temple.
Significance of Metakani Temple
Metakani Temple is a significant religious and cultural site. The temple is one of the most important Hindu temples in Odisha. The temple is also a popular tourist destination, attracting visitors from all over India and the world.
Metakani Temple in popular culture
Metakani Temple has been featured in several popular films and television shows. The temple was featured in the 2013 Bollywood film “Aashiqui 2”. The temple was also featured in the 2018 Odia film “Love Story”.
Things to do near Metakani Temple
- Visit Hirakud Dam, one of the largest dams in India.
- Visit Sambalpur, a city known for its culture and heritage.
- Visit the Subarnameru Temple, another popular Hindu temple in Subarnapur district.
- Go on a nature walk in the forests surrounding Metakani Temple.
- The main deity of Metakani Temple is the goddess Metakani, who is depicted as a four-armed goddess riding a lion.
- The temple has a sanctum sanctorum, which houses the main deity. The sanctum sanctorum is surrounded by a mandapam, or congregation hall.
- The temple also has a natamandapa, or dance hall. The natamandapa is decorated with sculptures of dancers and musicians.
- The temple is surrounded by a courtyard, which is surrounded by a wall.
- The temple complex also has a number of smaller shrines and temples.
- Metakani Temple is a popular pilgrimage destination for Hindus from all over India. The temple is also a popular tourist destination for visitors from all over the world.
Tips for visiting Metakani Temple
- The best time to visit Metakani Temple is during the winter months (October to March). The weather is pleasant during these months.
- The temple is open from 6:00 AM to 6:00 PM.
- Visitors are required to dress modestly when visiting the temple.
- Visitors are also required to remove their shoes before entering the temple.
How to Reach, Destination Attractions, Destination Facilities, Transportation, Accessibility
Nearest Bus Stop
The nearest Bus stop is Sonepur, which is located around 23 KM distance from Maa Metakani mandir
Nearest Railway Station
The Nearest Railway Station is Balangir, which is located around 70 km from Maa Metakani Mandir
The nearest Airport is Veer Surendra Sai Airport, Jharsuguda, which is located around 120 KM distance from Maa Metakani mandir and is about 297 km from Biju Patnaik International Airport, Bhubaneswar
Best Time to visit
The best time to visit Maa Metakani mandir is at all times of the year
Maa Metakani temple opening time is Monday to Sunday 6 am to Evening 8 pm